Wednesday, March 21, 2012

2nd Push


Picture Chalk Reproduction for a bird by Ana Bruno-Stump
So this pass weekend I just went through my second festival in a row.  This time around I decided to try a bird.  I decided to completely take out all the black from the equation. I wanted to do a piece that uses nothing but mixed colors in order to achieve darker tones, and it was a challenged.  

Untitled Image, and untitled photographer.  If you know
the name of the photographer please give them credit were
credit is due and post their name below.
The untitled image is just astonishing as you can see in right.  I has a (what I believe ) humming bird just landing on a branch.  The basic composition of the piece had organic symmetry (is almost an oxymoron), it has great positive and negative space, and finally this is fallowed by the great combination of earth tone colors.  You just can't beat it.  This is so far my second reproduction from an image for this year and I think I'm getting better.  Not as good as the fish but getting better. 

The only negative experience I had in this even was the sun was literally taking a tole on me.  After 11 am I was literally directly under the sun until just around 5:30PM. At that point I would only have maybe 1 hour to 2 hours to work quickly under the cool conditions.  For most part it was pretty bad and very very hot.  I almost had heat stroke again.  It's really not fun, but thank God the people at the festival are always very kind to their artist and they made sure we all had plenty of water.  I also have my friend Bridget to thank for sharing her tent with me so I don't get heat stroke.  I still don't know how to repay her for he kindness.

What made this even very unique is that I saw one of my students trying the chalk events and it was fantastic.  I really love seeing my students trying new mediums  pass digital format.  For her first time she did very well for her self.

This event was just very fun.  It also helped that this is my favorite chalk festival of the year. The show is opened to many different styles and people brought their A game to the festival.  In the end my bird did pretty good. I placed 1 out of 4 honorable mentioned in the small square division. I'm very proud. To be honest I still believe my fist looked a lot better. This weekend I'll be doing another piece over the weekend at the Safety Harbor Chalk Festival.  This time I'm doing a flower. Let's see how I do. 

Chalk Fest 2012 Artist


No comments:

Post a Comment